Delton was named for Del Monroe who, in 1868, opened the first store in the area. Originally referred to as Del's Town, it was changed to Delton when it was officially listed with the state.
Nawquageezhig, or Chief Noonday as he was known to white settlers, fought alongside Shawnee Chief, Techumseh during the war of 1812. After the war, Chief Noonday led his Potawattomie (Bodéwadmi) people to the area now known as Yankee Springs.
After conversion to Christianity, the Native American leader relocated to the Prairieville area where he lived with Reverend Leonard Slater at his Indian mission and school located near the intersection of Cressey and Lockshore roads.
Chief Noonday, along with many others of his tribe, was buried on the site of the mission in the mid-1800's.