Bernard Hospital (Building 1)
The Bernard Hospital was built in the early 1930's. Dr. Bernard operated this hospital in which over 400 babies were born until he left to be a medical officer in WWII.
After returning from the military service, Dr. Bernard used the building as a medical center and clinic until he retired in 1956. In 1962, the building was converted into the present museum. Over 25,000 artifacts are on display in this and the other buildings.
In 1970 a two story wing was added and was rapidly filled with artifacts. The rooms of the hospital have been decorated as they might have been in the late 1800's or early 1900's. The wing contains many articles of clothing, a toy collection, stone and sea shell collections, telephone switch boards, and an Indian dug out taken from Wall Lake.
The Brown School (Building 2)
The Brown School, or the North Pine Lake School, was located on the corner of Pine Lake and Lindsey Roads. It was constructed in 1873 and used as a one room school, as well as a community center. It was moved to the museum grounds in 1963, where it houses many artifacts dealing with school life. The back room of the Brown School has been converted from a storage room into a youth display room.
This project was the Eagle Project of Ben Bever from BSA Troop 108. Ben supervised cleaning, painting, and putting up displays. He also put in a handicap ramp so that the school is now handicap accessible.
Seamstress Cottage (Building 3)
The Seamstress Cottage was built in the 1870's and was donated to the Bernard Historical Museum by Mr. & Mrs. Karl Palmatier. It was used as a tenant house, moved to the Palmatier home site and use as a storage building.
Mrs. Palmatier played in this building as a child. Because of the deterioration of the building, much renovation was needed. It is now furnished with artifacts related to the life of a dress maker in the late 1880's including rope beds, quilting frames, feed bag material, patterns, and sewing machines.
Implement Building (Building 4)
The Implement Building (often called The Barn), was built in 1991.
It contains farm equipment from early Michigan, two WWII Jeeps, a railroad mail cart or wagon, an old gas pump, a license plate collection, several old lawn mowers, an incubator, milk separators, scales, hay forks and other artifacts dealing with farming.
The Little House (Building 5)
The Little House was built in the late 1930's for the purpose of housing young doctors that helped Dr. Bernard from 1939 to 1942.
Dr. Bernard went into the armed service and upon returning, The Little house became the home of three doctors at separate times (1945-1956). The building was used for storage for several years.
We have now opened The Little House for display. A sewing machine room, an early communications area, books, shoes, and a country kitchen can be seen at this time.
The Blacksmith Shop (Building 6)
The Blacksmith Shop was built in 1969 as a replica of those used in the late 1880's and early 1900's. It contains a forge, tools used by the Smithy, horse shoes and many other artifacts.
The Country Store (Building 7)
The Country Store was built in 1968. It is a replica of an 1880's store and is furnished with groceries, household goods and all most anything else one would need to survive at that time.
The Bowen Mills 1910 Post Office is also located in this building.
The working Windmill was erected 1993 an an Eagle Project by Max Boehm. Max planned and worked on the project along with members of BSA Troop 50. This was the long dreamed of project of Dr. Bernard, Wilbur Solomon, and Clare Richards.
The windmill was donated by Dr. Light and is dedicated to Wilbur Solomon.
When the wind is blowing in the right direction, the windmill pumps a cool, fresh stream of water for workers and visitors to our museum.